Job Title: Clinical Research Assistant at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Description: The Orthopaedic and Arthritis Center for Outcomes Research (OrACORe) and the Policy and Innovation eValuation in Orthopaedic Treatments (PIVOT) Center at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School are seeking a full-time Research Assistant to join our multidisciplinary health policy and clinical outcomes research team. As a clinical Research Assistant, you will work directly with the Principal Investigators and other faculty and staff members to conduct clinical research involving musculoskeletal conditions. There will be opportunities to collect data, synthesize literature, assist with the coordination of multi-center clinical trials, and participate in writing sections of both manuscripts and grant proposals. The Centers’ faculty are dedicated to mentoring Research Assistants as they plan careers in medicine, public health, and related disciplines.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
- Conducting enrollment and follow-up telephone interviews of study participants
- Scheduling and completing in-person study visits and performing musculoskeletal-based physical examinations and tests for clinical studies
- Serving as a primary contact for study participants
- Working with OrACORe/PIVOT faculty (clinicians, epidemiologists, and biostatisticians) to implement research studies, analyze data, and report research results
- Performing electronic medical record reviews
- Collecting and maintaining study data
- Performing data entry and producing reports
- Conducting data cleaning and organizing study data
- Assisting with study coordination of multi-center clinical trials we manage. Tasks may include preparing for/performing site visits and training and certifying study staff in the collection of standardized data elements
- Assisting with protocol development and the creation of related materials including standard operating procedures (SOPs), case report forms, and manuals of operations (MOOPs)
- Assisting with the development of data systems
- Assisting in preparing research documents, presentations, manuscripts, and journal articles
- Conducting literature searches and retrieving relevant articles
- Aiding with the editing and submission of research papers and grant proposals
- Corresponding with and preparing materials for the Internal Review Board (IRB) for protocol amendments, consent form changes, and annual reports
- Attending and leading regularly scheduled project-specific and group-wide meetings
- Performing administrative duties, such as preparing meeting agendas and taking minutes
Qualifications: We value flexibility, initiative, and independence as well as interest in medicine, epidemiology, health policy, biostatistics, economics, and/or computer programming. This position requires a bachelor’s degree, a strong quantitative background, and excellent communication skills (both written and oral). Some prior research experience is desired but not required.
We are seeking a good natured and highly motivated team player who gets along well with others from diverse intellectual and social backgrounds. OrACORe & PIVOT embrace diversity and are committed to building an equal opportunity team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Individuals from groups historically underrepresented in research and medicine are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit your resume, cover letter, and unofficial transcript to the following web portal: https://oracore.bwh.harvard.edu/careers-training/job-openings/research-assistant-application/. Complete applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until this position is filled. We strongly suggest that applicants submit their materials as soon as possible.