Job Title: Health Policy and Data Management Research Assistant at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Description: The Orthopaedic and Arthritis Center for Outcomes Research (OrACORe) and the Policy and Innovation eValuation in Orthopaedic Treatments (PIVOT) Center at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School are seeking a full-time Research Assistant to join our multidisciplinary health policy and clinical outcomes research team. As a Research Assistant, you will work on computer modeling simulations, data management, and data analyses with the Centers’ Principal Investigators and staff. Specifically, you will conduct health policy evaluation using computer simulation models, collect data, synthesize literature, contribute to data management, perform select statistical analyses with guidance from the faculty, and participate in writing sections of both manuscripts and grant proposals. The Center faculty are dedicated to mentoring Research Assistants as they plan careers in medicine, health policy, public health, and related disciplines.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
- Working with investigators to facilitate and conduct health policy and medical decision-making analyses using computer simulation models
- Completing literature reviews on relevant research topics
- Summarizing data and generating reports; presenting findings at weekly and monthly meetings
- Participating in model development, refinement, and debugging, including collaborating with the model developer
- Assisting in the preparation of research documents, presentations, grant proposals, manuscripts, and journal articles
- Corresponding with and preparing materials for the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for protocol amendments, consent form changes, and annual reports
- Developing, organizing, and maintaining study databases/data collection systems
- Monitoring clinical site study recruitment, retention, and data quality
- Interfacing with study staff (statisticians/program manager, principal investigators) to develop standardized data cleaning and reporting tools, and to perform preliminary data analyses
- Creating and maintaining analytic datasets and accompanying codebooks/data documentation
Qualifications: We value flexibility, initiative, and independence as well as interest in medicine, epidemiology, health policy, biostatistics, economics, and/or computer programming. This position requires a bachelor’s degree with excellent academic standing. A strong quantitative background and excellent communication skills (both written and oral) are required, and some prior research experience is desired but not required.
We are seeking a good natured and highly motivated team player who gets along well with others from diverse intellectual and social backgrounds. OrACORe & PIVOT embrace diversity and are committed to building an equal opportunity team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Individuals from groups historically underrepresented in research and medicine are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit your resume, cover letter, and unofficial transcript to the following web portal: https://oracore.bwh.harvard.edu/careers-training/job-openings/research-assistant-application/. Complete applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled.